The season seems to start earlier and earlier!

Trinity returned to training on the 6th August and have just completed their well attended week long ‘training camp’ on Saturday with a 28-20 win against a very well drilled Naas RFC from Division 2A in the All Ireland League.

To train nine times in a week and follow this with a very competitive game was just what the Trinity squad needed. There were some very tired bodies after this physical encounter. The first game of the season is always tough and this was no different.

Trinity never really hit any heights in this game and struggled to get any consistency throughout. There were some flashes from individuals, but the team systems were way off. Naas were really up for the game and looked much the better team for most of the first half.

Trinity scored first through a penalty from debutant out half Oisin Brady. The home team came back to score a well taken try, when former Munster, Leicester and Ireland A Full back Johnny Murphy cut through and passed back inside to his wing to score by the posts.

Trinity kept making errors in possession, but managed to string a couple of phases together and scrum half Angus Lloyd broke blind to put full back Conor Kearns away for a 70 meter run up the sideline for a superb try.

Naas came back when, in controversial circumstances, their prop ran through the referee to score by the posts with Trinity defenders unable to get to the try scorer!

Just on half time, Trinity’s hooker Patrick Finlay capped a fine individual performance by driving his way over the line from close in after several phases on the Naas line. This tied the score at half time to 15 pts all.

In the second half, with the slope in their favor, Trinity enjoyed most of the possession and territory.  But time and time again errors crept into the students game just when they looked to score or break loose.

Naas actually scored against the run of play, when Trinity coughed up the ball from a line out on their own line.   The home team moved the ball wide and outflanked the Student defence.

Trinity came back with a penalty, and a try by second row Jack Hennessy to win out in the end.

Next week they play Division 1A runners up Terenure College who have been in top form for the past three years or so.

The Trinity 2nd string looked good in the first half running up a 28-0 lead. The heavy week obviously got to them along with some inspired play by the home team.   Trinity just about held on 28-27 in a great game for the large home crowd.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>