Barnhall pic


Barnhall 19pts, Trinity 24pts – 14th January 2017


After a six week break, Trinity 1st XV were back in action with a Leinster Senior cup game V All Ireland League 2B opposition Barnhall.


The students struggled to blow the rust off their systems and although full of effort they rarely managed to get near to the form they require to play in AIL 1A.


Trinity started well and kicked an early penalty through  out half Tommy Whittle after some heavy pressure in the Barnhall 22. They followed this with a well worked move in the backs when centre Kyle Dixon was put through a gap and in turn put his co centre Michael Courtney away for a clinical try. Trinity continued to attack but struggled to get continuity in their play.


Barnhall came back with two penalties, 8-6 at half time was a fair reflection on an error prone first half. With the wind and slope in their favour it looked like the Students should kick on, but after an early penalty by Whittle, Barnhall scored a well worked try off a line out, to close the gap to 11-11.


This seemed to kick Trinity into action and they scored two good tries with the first one coming after great patience in the Barnhall 22 with wing Brian Mollen scoring out wide after Hooker Patrick Finlay carried twice in the build up, and the second came after Captain Brian Slater broke free before popping the ball up to centre Kyle Dixon who finished off from close in. Barnhall did get a consolation try on the last play to close the game to one score.


It was good to get back on the field for the students, but they will have to improve ten fold if they want to challenge later in the season. Next week they play 1A League leaders Lansdowne in the semi final of the cup on the back pitch of the Aviva.


Later on Saturday afternoon, due to the Cup game in Barnhall, Trinity Senior 2nds played a very strong Durham University from the UK. Trinity played well in the first half with the wind and were in the game at half time 12-5, but a combination of injuries to key Trinity players and strong running from Durham led to the home team losing out 41-5, a disappointing result for Trinity in a stop – start game.


Trinity U20s Premiers had a difficult assignment in Navan on Sunday in what was always going to be a tough game after the holidays. Navan who have been having a great season in the JP Fanagan league dominated much of the first half to lead 19-12, but in the second half Trinity blew the cobwebs out to score three unanswered tries to lead by 14pts with 3 minutes to go. Navan scored in the final minute to get a well-earned bonus point.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>